慢步乔治市中心-第七集(完结篇)


图61:Wui Chiu Association penang惠州会馆

槟城惠州会馆位于马来西亚槟城。创立于清道光二年六月初六。

---------------------------------------------


图62:Boon Shan Tong Khoo Kongsi

Boon San Tong Khoo Kongsi is the smaller of the two Khoo Kongsi clan temples in Penang. Unlike its "bigger sister", the Boon San Tong Khoo Kongsi does not receive throngs of photo-snapping tourists. Boon San Tong was built by a branch of the Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi. It is the ancestral temple of the Khoo subclan known as the Hai Kee Kak, or "Sea Edge Pillar". They are the descendents of Khoo Kong Oon, a fifth generation Leong San Tong Khoo. The most illustrious member of this subclan is Khoo Thean Teik, who was intrumental in making Boon San Tong the most powerful component of the association. He was one of the founding members of the Boon San Tong clan temple in 1878.The original entrance to Boon San Tong Khoo Kongsi was through a narrow passageway from Beach Street facing Seh Tan Court. When it was built, it commanded a good view of the sea. In 1907, with the creation of Victoria Street on what was previously sea, the entrance to the temple was changed to the newly created street. Note the year 1907 on its gates as you enter. In all likelihood, the same craftsmen who worked on the Leong San Tong a year before was also the ones who completed the Boon San Tong. Within Boon San Tong are the ancestral tablets of the Hai Kee Kak. these are in the main ancestral hall as well as the Boon San Tong. As one of the four main components of the Leong San Tong, the Boon San Tong owns a quarter share in the main clan association, and have representatives sitting in the Leong San Tong board.

http://www.penang-traveltips.com/boon-san-tong-khoo-kongsi.htm

-----------------------------------------------


图63:Clan Jetties (姓氏桥),

“名姓桥”顾名思义是个姓氏家族麋居的海上村庄,屋基以柱子架起,蔚为奇观。海乾街一带,共有七座姓氏村;姓周桥、姓李桥、姓王桥、姓林桥、姓郭桥、姓杨桥和杂姓桥。那一带的木屋至少有一百年以上了。此村是于1880年以先贤姓氏各自为名。这里最具特色的首推姓周桥,无论孩童、老人家、小商、渔民和码头装御互人举目尽是。他们的住家就建在海上,以木柱架高,道路和码头一样,都是以木梁搭建,独树一帜。绕道前往名姓桥的话,就继续沿本头公巷和打铜仔街(GAT LEBUH ARMENIAN)向东行,直至抵达滨水区的海乾街(WELD QUAY)。

Clan Jetties (姓氏桥), Weld Quay (Pengkalan Weld), are numerous and located along the shorelines of George Town. They are worth walking to and looking at, as they provide an insight to the way locals live in traditional huts built on the sea on stilts. Be cautious while walking in this area.

---------------------------------------


图64:Church of Our Lady of Sorrows

The Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, originally Church of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows, is a Catholic church for Chinese-speaking parishioners in Penang. It is presently located at Macalister Road, next to Heng Ee Primary School. The history of the Church of Our Lady of Sorrows goes back to the founding of the British settlement in Penang. In 1786, when the British settlement on Penang was established, it is estimated that the Chinese population in Province Wellesley numbered around one hundred. By 1825, the number of Chinese in Penang had reached eleven thousand. A Catholic missionary by the name of Father J.B. Boucho arrived to do mission work here, between 1826 and 1843. He managed to convert a few of the Chinese settlers to Catholic, along with the priest of the Church of Immaculate Conception. However, the Chinese community did not have their own place of worship, unlike the Indian parishioners that already had a church of their own, the St Francis Xavier Church, since 1857.In 1886, Father Emile Barillon, young missionary who had learned Chinese, arrived in Penang from Singapore. He stayed at the Church of the Assumption while he went about preparing to build a church for the Chinese parishioners. The land purchased was at Macalister Road. A small church building, Church of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows, was inaugurated in March, 1888.
The present building of the Church of Our Lady of Sorrows dates back to 1958, under the tenure of Father Philip Lee. Beside the church building is a 107 feet high bell tower. The next parish priest, Father Arthur Julien, was instrumental in establishing the Heng Ee School - the secondary school at Hamilton Road while the primary school within the church compound.
http://www.penang-traveltips.com/church-of-our-lady-of-sorrows.htm

--------------------------------------


图65:Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Centre

The Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Centre is located at Jalan Macalister, George Town. It is housed within the Penang Philomatic Union building. The Penang Philomatic Union was a reading club started by the Tung Meng Hooi, a political party started in Tokyo in 1905 with the intention of turning imperial China into a republic. For cross reference, please refer to the Sun Yat-Sen Penang Base at 120 Armenian Street. The building it is occupying was originally the Sio Lan Teng, a Chinese merchant's club. It was here that Dr Sun Yat-Sen delivered his first speech in Penang. At that time, the Penang audience took to his speech with yawning indifference, little knowing that this English-educated physician will one day bring down imperial China. The reason for their indifference was that the Chinese community in Penang was torn between the idea of setting up a constitutional monarchy and the establishment of a republilc. The Canton Uprising of 1911 gravitated them to a single decision, which was, to support the revolutionaries for a republic.In addition to its part in Dr Sun Yat-Sen's movement, the Penang Philomatic Union was at one time used as the premises of the Chung Ling High School as well as the Fukien Girls' School - the precursor of today's Penang Chinese Girls' High School. These schools were founded by followers of Dr Sun Yat-Sen, namely Tan Sin Cheng and other key members of Tung Meng Hooi in Penang.

http://www.penang-traveltips.com/sun-yat-sen-memorial-hall.htm

------------------------------------------------


图66:Khoo Clan House

历史不详

---------------------------------------------


图67:Kuan Yin See

Kuan Yin See, or Temple of the Goddess of Mercy, is a Taoist temple along Jalan Burma. This is a different temple from the Kuan Yin Teng, also translated as the Goddess of Mercy Temple, of Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling. The Kuan Yin See was founded in 1922 by Ben Zhong, the second abbot of Kek Lok Si Temple who was also the one who built the Pagoda of 10,000 Buddhas. At the entrance to the temple is a name plaque and on either sides are pillar couplets, with calligraphy written by Chen Baochen, an official in the former Qing imperial court.The Temple of the Goddess of Mercy has become associated with the Nine Emperor Gods Festival, so much so that many people thought this is the Nine Emperor Gods Temple of Penang, which is a different temple located in Lebuh Macallum. Nonetheless, the Kuan Yin See is the busiest during this festival, with stalls erected at the front selling vegetarian meals and confectioneries.The Kuan Yin is was once the home of Fa Kong, a flamboyant monk whose legacy included founding a zoo in Air Itam, in what is now Jalan Zoo. An inscription attributed to him, of Zen verses, can be seen on the rock in the garden of Kek Lok Si Temple.

http://www.penang-traveltips.com/kuan-yin-see.htm

-------------------------------------------


图68:Hainan Association & Temple

The temple, called Thean Ho Keong or Temple of the Heavenly Queen, was founded before 1866 and the present building dates from 1895. It is dedicated to the goddess Mar Chor, the patron saint of seafarers. Goats are slaughtered during the deity's feast days. It is a common temple for the different migrant groups from the island of Hainan in South China, now called Kheng Chew or Hainan province. To celebrate its centenary in 1995, the I 00-year-old temple was completely remodelled by craftsmen from China with elaborate stone carvings and swirling dragon pillars, in accordance to the trustees' idea of what a Chinese temple should look like.
When the Hainan men migrated to Penang late in the 19th century, the key occupations were dominated by other Chinese dialect groups, and so they turned to niche occupations by becoming sailors or cooks. Some Hainanese cooks first served in European and Straits Chinese households before branching out to open their own coffeeshops and restaurants. To the east of the temple is the Hainan Provincial Association or Kheng Chew Hooi Khoon premises.

http://www.tourismpenang.gov.my/page.cfm?name=ht02b_02

1 comment:

advertisement